Dev Ops / Backend Engineer
We are Humanitix
Humanitix is the world's first not-for-profit ticketing platform. We believe businesses that align profit with purpose can solve the world's biggest problems.
Since launching in 2016, we have grown exponentially, transforming over $2.5M of annoying booking fees into donations towards impact projects. Events we work with range from music and art festivals, conferences, galas, expos, workshops, schools, and university events, you name it! In 7 years, we have become the go-to platform for hosts to manage their events, sell tickets, and create impact through our philanthropic model. And the best part? We’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
We are a global business with offices in Sydney, Auckland, and Denver. At Humanitix, we celebrate the diversity of thought, perspective, and expression, and we look for many different skills and abilities that can enhance Humanitix’s offerings and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
For a Cliffnotes summary of the Humanitix model, check out the first 5 mins of Sam Harris' podcast (#271 Earning to Give)
We are seeking a talented and passionate DevOps/Backend Engineer to join our growing team at Humanitix.
You will play a crucial role in enhancing and maintaining our infrastructure, ensuring the smooth running of our platform, and contributing to the continuous improvement of our systems. You will work closely with our development team to automate processes, optimize performance, and ensure the scalability and reliability of our services.
When you are not working on Devs Ops you ideally will be able to help build our next-generation platform designed to make a huge impact at scale. You will have an influence on the direction of the product and the support of senior developers.
Looking to work on an amazing platform that has a real purpose? Come help disrupt the events industry and see your work create real change.
Your background in Devs Ops and software development will help you push our platform forward
This is a great opportunity to work with a young and fun team on an important problem and mission.
- You will take ownership of the Dev Ops process, aiming to add value as early in the life cycle as possible
- Collaborate with the development team to design, build, and maintain the infrastructure for our platform and services.
- Implement and maintain continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) pipelines to automate the deployment process and ensure the delivery of high-quality software.
- Monitor and analyze system performance, reliability, and security metrics to proactively identify and resolve potential issues.
- Identify areas for improvement in our infrastructure and processes and propose and implement solutions to enhance efficiency, security, and scalability.
- Manage cloud-based infrastructure and services (AWS ) and ensure optimal resource utilization.
- Developing and testing disaster recovery plans and applying incident management processes for major systems integrations
- Help implement best practices in security and compliance.
- Continuously research and stay up-to-date with industry trends and emerging technologies to propose innovative solutions
- Curiosity and a thirst for learning
- New Relic
- Bitbucket Pipelines, AWS Code deploy
- MongoDB (bonus)
- Node experience (bonus)
- Typescript (bonus)
- Experience with React/Svelte (bonus)
- Team Player
Why You’ll Love It Here
- You will have JOINT OWNERSHIP to contribute and change the product/engineering processes & be responsible for its success
- We do not micromanage anyone, you are trusted, have full autonomy, and are treated as an adult
- We ONLY hire other smart, ambitious people who LOVE to learn and grow
- You will get to work on interesting projects that get used by millions of people
- As an early team member, your input will be absolutely CRITICAL to the success of the company in all areas.
- We have a collaborative and supportive environment where teamwork and communication are encouraged. You will work closely with other developers, project managers, and stakeholders to ensure that the software meets the needs of the organization and its users.
About the Engineering team @ Humanitix
The mission of the engineering team is to build the best and most compelling events ticketing platform for all event hosts, anywhere in the world. Our event hosts love using Humanitix to run their events not only because we have a great mission and support, but also because of the outstanding product that is easier to use any others. To achieve this we are constantly seeking new and innovative solutions to improve the platform's performance, user experience, and impact.
The engineering team at Humanitix is a dynamic, fun, and collaborative group who are committed to the organization's mission, technical excellence, and continuous innovation.
At Humanitix, you’ll learn how to
- Work hard. Play harder. And maintain a healthy balance. We celebrate great work ethic but also like to have fun. We recognise that there are only 24 hours in a day to split your time between your career, loved ones, passions, and pursuits outside of work.
- Make genuine connections by bringing your authentic self to work. Your colleagues can be your friends too, sometimes lifelong.
- Ask for forgiveness, not permission. We encourage experimentation and reward initiative. Have an idea so crazy you think it just might work? Go for it and share the results.
- Give and receive direct and constructive feedback. It may feel uncomfortable at first but a huge growth opportunity awaits.
- Ask for help and escalate issues. You are not expected to be a superhero.
Perks of being a Human @ Humanitix
- You get to be a part of a world-first global tech charity that is pioneering a new model of compassionate capitalism, bringing together business and charity in the best way for 100% purpose.
- You’ll rest easy with the knowledge that your day-to-day work is making a positive impact in the lives of Humanitix’s beneficiaries.
- We trust you, we value your opinion and foster a non-hierarchical culture.
- We offer a competitive salary plus salary packaging for additional tax benefits.
- You’ll love our awesome office in the character-filled neighbourhood at The Rocks, Sydney.
- You get to contribute to our team culture and connect with like-minded human beings who are passionate about our mission and take pride in the work they do.
- You’ll love our emphasis on social events that allow the team to connect outside of the office environment, like our annual off-site retreat as well as fun and quirky celebrations organised by the Vibe Tribe.
Humanitix’s mission, vision & core values
Our mission is to bring people together to inspire and invest in humanity, far beyond traditional corporate responsibility. Humanitix is an experiment in compassionate capitalism and a new model for charity and business. Our ultimate vision is a world where all businesses, structures, and systems work in harmony with humanity to serve the best interests of all people and our planet.
We go all-in for our customers and for each other because we care about what we do. It also doesn't hurt to say “I love you”. Try it.
Think for yourself, say what you believe, and have the curiosity and courage to lead us further forward into new territory. Let's go.
Keep it weird
We celebrate humanity, thrive on individuality, and love all the ways we are different. Bring your true self to work* and be inclusive, open, and transparent.
The world is not f*cked
Yep, it can be a lot better, but there's no future in giving up. We create a better world by choosing positivity, investing in humanity, and forging pathways to progress. Be humane.
In addition to your resume, please submit a short cover letter. Let your personality shine through in the cover letter and help us learn why you want to help empower the team, hosts and customers. What else are you passionate about? What about this job attracts you? Why will Humanitix change the world?
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.